Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Wish I Could Spend Tuesdays With Morrie

Today I just finished Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. I have read another book by Mr. Albom entitled The Five People You Meet In Heaven and I loved that book, so I was excited to begin Tuesdays With Morrie. Let me begin by saying that this book is so moving. It touched my heart in ways that are indescribable, but can be felt by reading the words shared on each page. Tuesdays is a true account of the last days of Morrie Schwartz as his life was slowly taken away by Lou Gehrig's disease. As Morrie's body decays he imparts timeless and everlasting life lessons on Mitch.



I love the last line of this book:

"The last class of my old professor's life took place in his home...the subject was the meaning of life. It was taught from experience. The Teaching goes on."  

The whole time I read this book I couldn't help but reflect on my life and my future. I have learned to enjoy every moment to the fullest and most importantly, not to fear death. In a small chapter Mitch tells a story of him as a child, facing death while playing with friends in the street. As they barely missed being demolished by an oncoming car they all scream, "Let's do it again!. It is funny that as children we are not afraid of death, we never think of death, and we live life to the fullest. Why has that changed? Why can't we live our lives,  unconsumed by work, money, possessions and the fear of death, just as we did in our childhoods? Morrie sheds light on how we can accomplish this. EVERYONE! READ THIS BOOK! It is beyond EXCELLENT and I recommend to everyone.



The next book on my list is Bait and Switch by Barbara Ehrenreich. As an investigatory journalist, Barbara  dives into the world of the white-collar unemployed and chronicles "The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream".




I have read another book of hers, (I am very picky about what I read, so when I find an author I like, I roll with it) Nickel and Dimed, where she went undercover to chronicle the lives of the "working poor". This book opened my eyes to the world of the minimum wage worker so I am hoping to learn about the white-collar world in my next read.

On a side note, If you have any book you love and would highly recommend I would love to hear it!


And on a side note to the previously stated side note. Today I also worked,  finished all my classwork, cleaned my car (inside and out), cleaned my room AND did laundry. I'm feeling very productive today, I love it!

Hope you all are having an amazing week!


1 comment:

Star Spangled said...

Oooh, thanks for the book recs. I've read Tuesdays with Morrie and thought it was really touching. I will have to check out Bait and Switch. It sounds interesting. Right now I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it's really good! I don't get enough sleep because I can't put it down at night. :)